Thursday, November 12, 2009

First day of the new adventure...

Why am I changing this blog? Well, honestly, I obviously wasn't writing the old one very darn often, so I figured I'd try something else to see if it holds my attention a little better. What am I doing here? Well, I love to surf the net, but realized that I always went to the same 3 or 4 sites. That's boring, there are literally millions of sites out there that HAVE to be somewhat entertaining.

But, how can I help you, Chris? I'm very glad you asked. Send me notes and comments about what sites you go to or you've found to be entertaining. I'll check them out, and write about them. Then hopefully, once we gather a few more readers than just my 2 faithful readers, we'll get enough input that folks will learn about new sites to waste time on.

So, let's get started: (easy ones to start with)

Facebook : The social networking site that's sweeping the nation...blah blah blah. OK, so everyone's heard of Facebook. If not, I'm guessing you're not actually aware of what the internet is, and have never owned anything more advanced than a stapeler (manual, not electric). IT's a great way to catch up with friends from the old neighborhood, grade and high school, college, work, and meet new friends. It's got it's good points, such as ease of use, interesting games and applications, huge following, but it's got some issues too. The recent changes making everyones new friends and new groups visable to all their friends junks up my view, and makes it harder for me to keep up with my friends true status changes. All of this can be followed all over the web, even on numerous groups in FB itself. However, I'm going to talk about a specific addiction on Facebook...Apps! I'll probably revisit this topic form time to time as I find new ones to waste my time. Today's favorites are FarmVille and CastleAge.

FarmVille: You get to be a virtual farmer, and grow crops and raise animals and trees. OK, so it sounds cheesy, but it's strangely addictive. There is a great 'Awards' system, where you have goals to achieve, such as number of crops grown, animals found and raised, etc. It becomes fun to try to get to the next award, and compare yourself to your friends. An old feature getting more life within the App is the appearance of 'season' items and animals. My favorite, possibly cooresponding to the re-make of 'V' on ABC, was the introduction of Crop Circles, and Alien cows. I've never laughted harder at a computer game then the first time I bought a green cow with anntennae that gives me 'Milkutonium' when harvested. Astonishingly easy to use and weirdle addictive. You'll find yourself checking your farm everytime you log on.

CastleAge: Fight against monsters, dragons, warriors and the like while earning money and experiance to grow your own Kingdom. Not a very mentally challenging game, very little strategy or skill, but with some of the new features added recently, it's worth a look. The addition of LARGE monsters to defeat, you are almost forced to reachout for friends or make new ones, as some of the beasties take literally thousands of hits to die. You buy castles and marketplaces to gain income, you gain or buy equipment and magic items as you go to strengthen your army and allow you to beat bigger and badder evil doers. Easy, mindless, great way to lose 20-25 minutes at a time.

Well, bloggers, that's it for this post, let me know what you'd like to check out next!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

pretty cool buddy. I'll only give you one per post so I don't overwhelm you, but one of my favorites that people don't know about (and great for this time of year) is TaDaList @ http://tadalist.com/