Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Bad Zynga, Bad. Now go sit in the corner.

People are reading me! OK, so I know I’m up to 3, but that’s a 300% increase from before! OK, I have now used my math quota for the day, and am safely done.

Big blog this week, since I MUST celebrate the massive increase in readership!

So what’s new this post? Well, I not only have a new reader (or new commenter anyway), but he’s a kind soul who wants us to prosper and be happy. A few of my Facebook App recommendations have been provided by a company, Zynga. Faithful reader Q has brought to my attention some naughtiness on the part of Zynga. How this hasn’t been plastered all over Facebook previously just show’s how sneaky Zynga was (Or, adversely, how smart Q is…no, has to be sneakiness on Zynga’s part). So they basically have been posting ads for ANYTHING, even if they are obvious scams and/or against Facebook rules. Read more here.
I’ll take this as a great lead-in to some free unsolicited advice. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE think very long and hard before you ever pay money in any of these Apps. Even those that are just ‘visit this site for more FarmBucks (insert generic money in game here)’ pay attention. They aren’t all as bad as the ones formerly on the Zynga ads (See above if you are confused) but they can be spam, lead to more spam in your inbox, and are just all around a pain. And if you are using the PayPal or credit card options to buy more generic game money…..really, go outside, breathe some fresh air, and GET A FREAKIN GRIP! None of these games are that good that you’d actually need to pay to play more.

OK, Today’s user submitted site (Woo Hoo) : Delicious - OOH, I don’t like this, it’s stealing my idea! Well, actually I guess they were here first, and are all professional and stuff, so really I’m stealing some of their…nothing, never mind. OK, going to attack this one from 2 sides. First cool feature, for anyone who has used Internet Explorer’s ‘Favorites Bar’ Suggested Sites finder feature, this site is WAY BETTER! It’s not based on what you surf, as the IE one is, but instead is based on what’s hot right now, and what people are searching for. You can also search by category, i.e. Tech, News, Art, etc, and see what folks are looking at, and where they’re surfing for those topics. Second feature, which is great for folks like me with a work laptop/pc and a home laptop/pc, is the store your bookmarks feature. This is a Yahoo product, so, similar to Flickr, you just use your yahoo ID and pswd and you are signed in. You then save your bookmarks (Import feature too, but it’s a bit of a pain). You can log in now from any PC, and go to your delicious page, and get all your bookmarks. 5 out of 5 stars since now I’ll be able to save all my Amuse Me bookmarks in one place!

Facebook App of the moment : Addicted to XX. OK so this is really a whole series of Apps, hosted by ‘TVLoop’. It’s really just a place to talk about, quiz about, see photo’s about, or take a trivia challenge about your favorite TV shows and Movies. I’m not going to say it’s addictive, but I’ve actually answered ALL the trivia questions for ‘The Princess Bride’ and have 29410 points in trivia (it’s 10 points for a correct answer, your turn to do the math). If you find your show right away, I suggest clicking on ‘more’ along the top above the title bar. The list is darn near endless of trivia you could play. They have TV, Movies, Sports, Countries. They have Rugby…Rugby trivia. Who knows that much about Rugby? (Based on my answers to the first 4 questions…not me). So I’m currently Addicted to 7 different things, and have made a good dent in all of them. The questions are all user submitted, but have been pretty accurate, bad grammar aside. If you do find a bad one, there is a report button, and so far they’ve been pretty well policed. Warning – I’ve lost hours to this App, only to be frustrated by how little I know about some of my favorite TV shows. And I’m still waiting on the Fraggle Rock page! 3 of 5 stars, just because I do get annoyed at the fact that the user submitted questions aren’t re-written if they contain bad grammar, and I hate LOL speak.

Kongregate Game of the moment : Dragon Age: Journeys. A plug for the new XBOX/PS3 game Dragon Age: Origins, and you can win in game content while playing this, but it’s fun, pretty easy, and of course, Turn Based Combat (yippee). Obviously, with professional studios behind it, it’s a little more in depth than your average congregate game, but not by much, and not enough to make you feel like you’re in a deeper, more in depth game. It’s an easy point and click interface, with easy to understand instructions. Combat is pretty simple, and not too challenging (I’ve died twice in 2 hours), but it’s fun, and as always, you want to see what’s next. Probably not a big challenge for a serious gamer, but good for 10-15 minutes. 3 of 5 stars. Good game play, but not a challenge.

OK, be good, have fun surfing, and I'm still drawing a blank on a Amuse Me blog unique rating system.  Maybe we'll have to wait until the 10 follower mark for that one!

No comments: